This easy pressure cooker yellow rice recipe is definitely different than most – in the best possible way. With flavors of turmeric, cinnamon, and thyme.
This past weekend, my sister asked if I could bring yellow rice to family dinner at my mom’s house. I’m sure pressure cooker yellow rice was not on her radar. But it was actually the most complimented dish of the day. Everyone kept asking… “What’s that I’m tasting?” Ah! Music to a chef’s ears. Well, I told them. And now I’m telling you.
Why Yellow Rice From Scratch? (Why not just use the bagged stuff?)
Wondering why you should try the from scratch method instead of using prepackaged bags of yellow rice? First, while making prepackaged rice that includes a seasoning packet is tempting because there’s no need to measure out spices, the amount of sodium in said packet needs a second look. Just 2 ounces of dry pre-packaged yellow rice typically has over 30% of your daily recommended sodium intake. One popular prepackaged brand had 750mg, compared to less than 200mg in this recipe. With homemade, you can control the sodium level and be assured that you’re cooking with real, not artificial, ingredients.
Second, with an Instant Pot, making your own yellow rice from scratch couldn’t be easier. Third, the flavor in this rice is amazing! Even my family, who like to stick to the same familiar dishes, loved the new flavors in this rice. We’ve yet to serve this rice to a crowd who didn’t devour it.
And this is the AMAZING Result…
More Instant Pot rice recipes:
- Instant Pot Cilantro Lime Rice – Chipotle Copycat
- Pressure Cooker Coconut Rice with Fresh Herbs
- Instant Pot Sushi Rice
- Pressure Cooker Arroz con Pollo
- Grandma B’s Pressure Cooker Chicken and Rice
- Pressure Cooker Chicken Broccoli Rice “Casserole”
Can I make this vegan? Yes! Just swap the chicken broth and butter for vegetable broth and vegan butter.
Won’t my rice be mush if I cook it for 12 minutes? Not at all. Remember you are cooking on low pressure. The rice will be perfectly cooked.
Can I use dried thyme? Dried thyme would yield a completely different flavor. I highly recommend getting fresh thyme, as the results just won’t be the same with dried. If you must use dried thyme, use no more than 1/8 tsp.
★ Did you make this Pressure Cooker Yellow Rice ? Please give it a star rating below! ★
Pressure Cooker Yellow Rice
- 2 Tbsp. butter
- 1/4 cup yellow onion diced
- 1 Tbsp. garlic minced
- 2 cups basmati rice
- 2 Tbsp. turmeric ground
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 1 bay leaf
- 3 thyme sprigs
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- Using sauté setting on Instant Pot - Melt butter, then add onions and cook for about 1 minute until softened. Then add garlic and cook for another 30 seconds.
- Add rice and turmeric; stir well to coat.
- Add all remaining ingredients and mix well. Then lock lid and cook for 12 minutes at low pressure.
- Once cooking is complete, allow pressure to release naturally (will take about 10 minutes).
- Open lid and remove cinnamon stick, thyme stems, and bay leaf.
- Mix well with a fork to fluff, serve, and enjoy!
THIS POST MAY CONTAIN AFFILIATE LINKS. TO FIND OUT MORE VISIT OUR DISCLOSURE PAGE.