Pressure Cooker Chicken Broccoli Rice “Casserole”
Is there anyone who didn’t grow up eating some kind of chicken and rice dish? Whether it’s chicken biryani, arroz con pollo, Hainan chicken rice, a savory bowl of chicken and rice, or a cheesy chicken and rice casserole… Across many cultures, the classic combination of chicken and rice always says comfort food. And this pressure cooker chicken broccoli rice casserole is no different! Comfort food at its finest.
Do I have to use a whole chicken?
Well, the short answer is: no. You do not have to use a whole chicken. However, using a whole chicken is the best way to make an amazing broth – which is what makes this recipe amazing. Since you cook both the rice and broccoli in the broth, I highly recommend taking the extra step of making your own broth. Trust me, it’s worth it! Plus, you need to cook the chicken anyways, so…
And the Delicious Result…
★ Did you make this recipe? Please give it a star rating below!
Pressure Cooker Chicken Broccoli Rice "Casserole"
- 5 lb. whole chicken
- 6 cups water
- 4 tsp. sea salt
- 1 tsp. black pepper
- 2 lbs. broccoli florets
- 3 cups rice
- 8 oz. cheddar cheese shredded
- Place whole chicken in Instant Pot breast side up. Then add water, salt, and black pepper. Lock lid, close vent, and set manual timer for 30 minutes at high pressure.
- Place broccoli florets in a large bowl and cover with cold water and allow to defrost completely. Obviously, this step is not necessary if using fresh broccoli. Then pour broccoli into a colander and allow to drain completely.
- Once cook time is complete, allow pressure to release naturally (will take about 30 minutes). Then remove chicken from pot to a separate bowl. Be careful because it might be falling apart, which is good!
- Pass broth through a fine mesh strainer and return to pressure cooker. Add broccoli to pot and set manual timer for 0 (zero) minutes. Once cook time is complete, quick-release pressure. Pour broccoli into a fine mesh strainer, making sure to reserve all the broth.
- For white rice… Return broth to pot, along with rice, and cook for 4 minutes at high pressure. Once cook time is complete, quick-release pressure.
- For brown rice… Return broth to pot, along with rice, and cook for 20 minutes at high pressure. Once cook time is complete, quick-release pressure.
- Meanwhile… remove all chicken meat in large pieces. Discard skin and bones.
- Add chicken, broccoli, and cheese to pot and mix well. Serve & enjoy!
And as Always… Please Pin & Share the Love!
THIS POST MAY CONTAIN AFFILIATE LINKS. TO FIND OUT MORE VISIT OUR DISCLOSURE PAGE.