This chicken chili recipe is super easy and even more delicious. Yes, you can actually have it both ways!
Originally posted September 14, 2018; Updated tips and FAQ’s on November 14, 2019.
There’s nothing like a bowl of hot chicken chili on a cold night. And, considering how delicious this is, you’d never think this recipe is as easy to execute as it is. But there are only two steps in this process of this Instant Pot chicken chili, with an amazing result.
Why This Recipe Works
- There are just two steps: Throw everything in the Instant Pot, then remove and shred the chicken, mix it back in and you’re done!
- The Instant Pot cooks the chili faster than a slow cooker, while still infusing the chicken with flavor.
More Instant Pot Chili Recipes:
And this is the AMAZING Result…
- If you like larger pieces of chicken in your soup, using two forks to shred the chicken works well. However, if you prefer finely shredded chicken, you can use a hand mixer. To do so, place the chicken into a deep mixing bowl. Press the beaters of the hand mixer into the chicken and turn on to low speed. Let the mixers work until the chicken is shredded to your liking.
- Let the shredded chicken sit for at least ten minutes before serving. This will allow it to absorb even more flavor.
Can I use rotisserie chicken? Yes, you can cook the recipe as written, omitting the chicken breasts, and then add rotisserie chicken at the the end. However, the chicken won’t have as much of the chili flavor.
Does chicken chili freeze well? Absolutely! Chili is one of our favorite freezer meals.
If I don’t like kidney beans, can I just double the pinto beans? Yes, you can substitute just about any canned beans for the ones in this recipe!
★ Did you make this Instant Pot Chicken Chili? Please give it a star rating below! ★
Instant Pot Chicken Chili
- 15 oz. canned red kidney beans drained, rinsed
- 15 oz. canned pinto beans drained, rinsed
- 15 oz. canned black beans drained, rinsed
- 3/4 cup yellow onions diced
- 3/4 cup green bell peppers diced
- 1 Tbsp. garlic minced
- 2 Tbsp. chili powder
- 1 tsp. ground cumin
- 1 tsp. oregano
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 tsp. sea salt
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 12 oz. tomato sauce
- 3 lbs. boneless skinless chicken breasts
- First add all 3 types of beans to pot. Then add the other veggies – onions, peppers, and garlic. Next add the spices – chili powder, cumin, oregano, bay leaf, and salt. Now, add your liquid components – chicken broth and tomato sauce. Give a good mix.
- Finally, add chicken breasts, making sure they are submerged in the liquid.
- Lock lid and cook for 15 minutes at high pressure. Once cook time is complete, quick-release pressure and remove lid.
- Remove chicken breasts and transfer them to a large mixing bowl. Using 2 forks, shred chicken into bite-size pieces. Return chicken to pot and let sit for as long as you can, but at least 10 minutes.
- Serve with your favorite toppings, or none at all. And, of course, some cornbread!
THIS POST MAY CONTAIN AFFILIATE LINKS. TO FIND OUT MORE VISIT OUR DISCLOSURE PAGE.