Finally! A vegan green bean casserole that doesn’t taste like it’s missing anything. In fact, it’s possibly better than the original! And it’s gluten-free!
Originally posted on November 2, 2017; Updated content on November 14, 2019.
One of the saddest things things I’ve ever experienced was seeing the look on my wife’s face the first Thanksgiving, after she was diagnosed with gluten intolerance, when she realized she couldn’t eat the green bean casserole. So it was my mission to create a vegan green bean casserole that our whole family would enjoy, without it tasting like… well, vegan and gluten-free. The secret: was the homemade cream of mushroom soup that has no dairy or flour. It’s so, so good!
Along with one recipe of vegan cream of mushroom soup, you’ll need gluten-free French fried onions. Our local grocery store carries them sometimes, but my favorite brand is Live Gluten Free, from Aldi.
Tips for Making this Vegan Green Bean Casserole
- When preparing for big meal (like Thanksgiving), you can make the soup portion of this recipe several days in advance. Then on the day you want to serve the casserole, it will only take about 5 minutes to prep.
- You might be tempted to skip the stirring step after baking for 25 minutes, but don’t! The final result will be much more delicious if you stir it.
Can I use a different milk alternative other than soy milk? Yes, Any of the milk substitutes will work. I just recommend a plain flavor. You will definitely taste the flavors if you use something like vanilla.
★ Did you make this Vegan Green Bean Casserole? Please give it a star rating below! ★
Vegan Green Bean Casserole
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In a medium casserole dish - combine soup, green beans, and half of the onions. Mix well to combine. Bake for about 25 minutes (should be hot and bubbling).
- Remove dish from oven. Mix well, then top with remaining onions.
- Bake for another 10 minutes.
- Serve and enjoy!
More vegan holiday dishes:
THIS POST MAY CONTAIN AFFILIATE LINKS. TO FIND OUT MORE VISIT OUR DISCLOSURE PAGE.