Mom’s Southern Baked Mac and Cheese
(Which is Pretty Much a Casserole)
I’ve spent the last 10 years learning how to cook this dish the way my mom did when I was a kid. It was my first favorite food in the whole world (that I can remember). The only problem is… my mom does not measure anything! I mean, unless she’s baking a cake or a pie, it’s always just a little bit of this and that. Well, it is truly my pleasure to share this recipe with the world; especially after a few dozen failed attempts over the years. Please enjoy my mom’s famous southern baked mac and cheese!
More comfort food sides:
- Pressure Cooker Mac and Cheese
- Instant Pot Stuffing AKA Cornbread Dressing
- Pressure Cooker Yellow Rice Easily Made from Scratch
And this is the AMAZING result…
★ Did you make this Southern Baked Mac and Cheese?
Please give it a star rating below! ★
Mom's Southern Baked Mac and Cheese
I've spent the last 10 years learning to cook this baked macaroni and cheese the way my mom did when I was a kid. My first favorite food! You're Welcome.
- 1 lb. elbow pasta
- 1/2 cup butter
- 6 large eggs
- 24 oz. evaporated milk
- 1 Tbsp. Lawry’s seasoned salt
- 1 tsp. black pepper
- 2 lbs. Kraft medium cheddar cheese ½ cubed, ½ medium sliced
Preheat oven to 325F degrees.
Bring a pot of water to a rolling boil, then add a lot of salt. You want it to be as salty as the ocean tastes. Add pasta and cook pasta to an al dente texture, usually about 7 minutes. Do not fully cook since pasta will cook more later in the oven.
Meanwhile – in a large mixing bowl, add eggs, seasoned salt, and pepper and whisk together. Add milk and whisk again. Set aside.
Drain pasta in a colander. Add butter to pot then return pasta to pot while still hot and mix until butter is completely melted.
- Return pot to stove over medium heat. Add cubed cheese and mix until partially melted. Remove from heat.
- Add egg/milk mixture to pasta/cheese mixture and stir until well combined. Then pour into 13x9 glass casserole dish.
- Bake for 15 minutes. Then remove from oven and gently mix well. Top completely with an even layer of sliced cheddar.
- Return to oven and bake for about 15 more minutes. Note: the only thing that needs to cook are the eggs, so resist the urge to overcook.
Remove from oven and let rest for at least 15 minutes (or more) before serving.
And as Always… Please Pin & Share the Love!