Mom’s Southern Baked Mac and Cheese
(Which is Pretty Much a Casserole)
I’ve spent the last 10 years learning how to cook this dish the way my mom did when I was a kid. It was my first favorite food in the whole world (that I can remember). The only problem is… my mom does not measure anything! I mean, unless she’s baking a cake or a pie, it’s always just a little bit of this and that. Well, it is truly my pleasure to share this recipe with the world; especially after a few dozen failed attempts over the years. Please enjoy my mom’s famous southern baked mac and cheese!
More comfort food sides:
- Pressure Cooker Mac and Cheese
- Instant Pot Stuffing AKA Cornbread Dressing
- Pressure Cooker Yellow Rice Easily Made from Scratch
And this is the AMAZING result…
★ Did you make this Southern Baked Mac and Cheese?
Please give it a star rating below! ★
Mom's Southern Baked Mac and Cheese
- 1 lb. elbow pasta
- 1/2 cup butter
- 6 large eggs
- 24 oz. evaporated milk
- 1 Tbsp. Lawry’s seasoned salt
- 1 tsp. black pepper
- 2 lbs. Kraft medium cheddar cheese ½ cubed, ½ medium sliced
- Preheat oven to 325F degrees.
- Bring a pot of water to a rolling boil, then add a lot of salt. You want it to be as salty as the ocean tastes. Add pasta and cook pasta to an al dente texture, usually about 7 minutes. Do not fully cook since pasta will cook more later in the oven.
- Meanwhile – in a large mixing bowl, add eggs, seasoned salt, and pepper and whisk together. Add milk and whisk again. Set aside.
- Drain pasta in a colander. Add butter to pot then return pasta to pot while still hot and mix until butter is completely melted.
- Return pot to stove over medium heat. Add cubed cheese and mix until partially melted. Remove from heat.
- Add egg/milk mixture to pasta/cheese mixture and stir until well combined. Then pour into 13x9 glass casserole dish.
- Bake for 15 minutes. Then remove from oven and gently mix well. Top completely with an even layer of sliced cheddar.
- Return to oven and bake for about 15 more minutes. Note: the only thing that needs to cook are the eggs, so resist the urge to overcook.
- Remove from oven and let rest for at least 15 minutes (or more) before serving.
And as Always… Please Pin & Share the Love!