Instant Pot Italian Sausage Soup
with Turnip Greens and Butternut Squash
I cook a lot. I mean a LOT!! And every now and then, something completely catches me off guard. I knew I wanted to develop a soup recipe that tasted really good, but it also needed to be Whole30 compliant since we're starting a round in a few days. Well, I was totally blown away at how delicious this Italian sausage soup turned out. Seriously blown away!
While eating my third bowl, in one sitting, I figured out why. It was hitting all of my favorite palette points. It's very savory, slightly spicy (if you use a spicy sausage), and slightly sweet (because of the apple cider). It's a special soup.
Here's a link to our Whole30 compliant Homemade Italian Sausage!
And this is the AMAZING Result…
And as Always… Please Pin & Share the Love!
More Whole30 Recipes:
★ Did you make this Italian Sausage Soup?
Please give it a star rating below! ★
Instant Pot Italian Sausage Soup with Turnip Greens and Butternut Squash
- 1 Tbsp. ghee or clarified butter
- 1 ¾ tsp. sea salt divided
- ¼ tsp. black pepper
- 2 Tbsp. apple cider vinegar
- 2 cups apple cider
- 1 lb. turnip greens chopped
- 1 lb. Italian sausage
- 2.5 lbs. butternut squash ¾" cubes
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 1 lb. turnip roots peeled, cut into ½" cubes
- Using sauté setting – add ghee, leeks, and ¼ teaspoon of salt. Cook for 3-4 minutes, until leeks soften (but not brown), stirring frequently. Add garlic and vinegar and continue sautéing for one minute.
- Add apple cider and turnip greens. Cook for 2-3 minutes, stirring constantly until greens wilt. Transfer greens and leek mixture to a bowl (including liquid) and set aside.
- Continuing on the sauté setting – add sausage to pot and brown thoroughly, making sure to break up the meat as much as possible.
- Once sausage is brown, add butternut squash, turnip roots, and 1 ½ teaspoons of salt to pot. Add chicken broth and mix well.
- Lock lid and cook at high pressure for 3 minutes. Once cook time is complete, quick-release pressure.
- Pour greens and leek mix back into pot and mix well.