These Instant Pot mashed potatoes are rich and creamy with a bold flavor!
I know, I know... Who needs another recipe for pressure cooker mashed potatoes? But trust me on this one. These are actually different - and in the best way! They have a rich, creamy texture (I know, nothing new) and a bold flavor!
Most mashed potatoes use a combination of a few different ingredients: butter, milk, sour cream, and garlic. Well, we've changed it up just a bit. We're using evaporated milk instead of regular milk. And we've added onion powder for an unexpected kick. And we love it! The potatoes are perfect with other highly seasoned dishes - like steak or short ribs!
Why Use Evaporated Milk?
The purpose of the evaporated milk (usually used in baking) is simple: the flavor. Sure, you can absolutely use any milk in pressure cooker mashed potatoes. So the only reason to choose any over another is the flavor, right?
My mom always used evaporated in her baked mac and cheese, which was my favorite food for most of my life. So I must've developed a taste for it over the years because now I use it every chance I get. Lol... But it really is delicious, so you should try it too!
★ Did you make this recipe? Please give it a star rating below!★
Pressure Cooker Mashed Potatoes
- 3 lbs. gold potatoes peeled, chopped
- 1 cup water
- ¼ cup butter
- 5 oz. evaporated milk
- 1 tsp. sea salt
- ¼ tsp. black pepper
- ¼ tsp. garlic powder
- ¼ tsp. onion powder
- Pour 1 cup of water into pressure cooker. Add steamer basket and fill with potatoes. Cook at high pressure for 8 minutes, then quick-release the pressure.
- Meanwhile, add butter, milk, salt, pepper, garlic powder, and onion powder to a small sauce pan. Bring to a simmer and mix well. Keep warm until potatoes are ready.
- Add potatoes to a large mixing bowl and pour in milk/butter mixture. Using a potato masher, mash and mix potatoes until desired consistency is reached.
- Serve immediately. Enjoy!