Mom’s Baked Macaroni and Cheese
(Which is Pretty Much a Casserole)
I’ve spent the last 10 years learning how to cook this dish the way my mom did when I was a kid. It was my first favorite food in the whole world (that I can remember). The only problem is… my mom does not measure anything! I mean, unless she’s baking a cake or a pie, it’s always just a little bit of this and that. Well, it is truly my pleasure to share this recipe with the world; especially after a few dozen failed attempts over the years. Please enjoy my mom’s famous baked macaroni and cheese!
All Cheeses are not Created Equally. Use This.
And as Always… Please Pin & Share the Love!
Mom's Baked Macaroni and Cheese
I've spent the last 10 years learning to cook this baked macaroni and cheese the way my mom did when I was a kid. My first favorite food! You're Welcome.
- 1 lb elbow macaroni
- 1/2 cup butter
- 6 large eggs
- 24 oz. evaporated milk
- 1 Tbsp Lawry’s seasoned salt
- 1 tsp black pepper
- 2 lbs Kraft medium cheddar cheese ½ cubed, ½ medium sliced
- Cook pasta to an al dente texture in very salty water, usually about 7 minutes. Do not fully cook them since they will cook more later in the oven.
- Meanwhile - in a large mixing bowl, whisk together eggs, milk, seasoned salt, and pepper. Set aside.
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees.
- Drain pasta in a colander, then return to pot. While still hot, add stick of butter and mix until completely melted.
- Return pot to stove over medium heat. Add cubed cheese and mix until partially melted. Remove from heat.
- Add egg/milk mixture to pasta/cheese mixture and stir until well combined. Then pour into 13x9 glass casserole dish.
- Bake for 15 minutes. Then remove from oven and gently mix well. Top completely with an even layer of sliced cheddar.
- Return to oven and bake for about 15 more minutes. Note: the only thing that needs to cook are the eggs, so resist the urge to overcook.
- Remove from oven and let rest for at least 15 minutes (or more) before serving. Enjoy!