This air fryer portobello mushroom is rich with umami. With its meaty texture, you can eat it many different ways: as a burger, in a wrap, or on a salad. And once marinated, it cooks in less than 10 minutes!
(Originally posted on August 30, 2017; Updated on May 21, 2020)
You ever have one of those amazing ideas for dinner while eating breakfast? Then you can’t stop thinking about it until it comes to life? Yeah, that happened today. This air fryer portobello mushroom is everything you want when you make it into a burger: flavorful, juicy, messy!
Why This Recipe Works
- This mushroom is loaded with umami. What is umami? It might be described as a deep, dark, meaty intensity. It’s kinda hard to explain, but it’s pretty much the 5th taste. We all know sweet, salty, sour, and bitter; Well, umami should be included in that list as well.
- Mushrooms hold marinades really well. Well, technically, mushrooms hold water well. And if you avoid cleaning them under running water (but instead clean them with a damp cloth), they will absorb the liquid in the marinade; in this case, they will hold on to the oil and vinegar mixture and it will transform their taste.
Have Some Fun with the Toppings
Since beginning our on/off plant-based eating journey, I’ve been craving mayo. Just Mayo is the best vegan brand I’ve found so far. My wife has also been wanting pesto. So I combined the Minimalist Baker’s Easy Vegan Pesto with the Just Mayo for an INCREDIBLE sauce. I literally ate about 3 spoonfuls. Just because.
And this may seem a little out there, but sautéed spinach on a burger is pretty amazing. It was so much more enjoyable than boring romaine or iceberg lettuce. Not to mention the added nutritional value.
Bonus: I just learned a new (to me) trick for taming onions. If you soak them in vinegar and water, they become so much more palatable, while maintaining their crunchy texture.
How to Make Air Fryer Portobello Mushrooms
And this is the AMAZING Result…
- For this recipe, do not clean mushrooms with running water. Mushrooms are full of water and they also absorb water. But if you rinse them with water, they will not be able to absorb the marinade – which is where they will get their flavor. Instead, wipe them clean them with a damp paper towel.
Can I leave out the oil? While technically you can leave it out, the result will taste much different. There will be no fat, which will change the flavor and make the meal less satisfying.
What type of air fryer can I use? Any of the air fryers on the market should work. Our favorite is the Instant Pot Duo Crisp, which is both a pressure cooker and air fryer.
More Vegan Recipes
- Air Fryer Cauliflower Wings
- Air Fryer Tofu Buddha Bowl
- Vegan Butter Bean Burger
- Tofu Stir-Fry with Sweet and Spicy Peanut Sauce
- Vegan Sushi Recipe – Made Easy Using the Sushezi!
- Vegan Chickpea Curry with Spinach and Tomatoes
★ Did you make this Air Fryer Portobello Mushroom?
Please give it a star rating below! ★
Air Fryer Portobello Mushroom with Basil Pesto-Mayo
- 1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 2 Tbsp. lemon juice
- 1 Tbsp. Dijon mustard
- 1/2 tsp. Kosher salt
- 2 portobello mushroom caps stems removed
- 1/4 cup basil pesto
- 2 Tbsp. mayo we used Just Mayo
- Prepare marinade in a small bowl by whisking together balsamic vinegar, olive oil, lemon juice, mustard, and salt.
- Remove stems from mushroom caps and wipe clean with a damp paper towel. Place mushrooms in a large resealable plastic bag. Pour in marinade, seal bag, and toss to coat thoroughly. Let marinate for at least 30 minutes, turning halfway through for even coverage.
- Coat fryer with some oil to prevent sticking. Add portobellos to air fryer basket and cook at 370 degrees for 7 minutes.
- Meanwhile... prepare your toppings of choice. Combine pesto and mayo, sauté some spinach, slice some tomatoes and red onions.
- Once cook time is complete, remove mushrooms and allow to rest on separate plate for a few minutes. (They will give off quite a bit of liquid, so don't place it on a bun too quickly or your buns will go soggy.)
- For this recipe, do not clean mushrooms with running water. Mushrooms are full of water and they also absorb water. But if you rinse them with water, they will not be able to absorb the marinade - which is where they will get their flavor. Instead, wipe them clean them with a damp paper towel.
FAQsCan I leave out the oil? While technically you can leave it out, the result will taste much different. There will be no fat, which will change the flavor and make the meal less satisfying. What type of air fryer can I use? Any of the air fryers on the market should work. Our favorite is the Instant Pot Duo Crisp, which is both a pressure cooker and air fryer.
THIS POST MAY CONTAIN AFFILIATE LINKS. TO FIND OUT MORE VISIT OUR DISCLOSURE PAGE.