Pressure Cooker Lamb Shanks
What Do You Mean You Don’t Eat Lamb?
I still haven’t figured out why Americans don’t eat more lamb. We never had it when I was a kid. And even still, when I serve it, most people have little or no experience with it. But I tell you what… This pressure cooker lamb shanks recipe is packed with bold flavors and they’re fall-off-the-bone tender!
The Inspiration for This Recipe…
I’ve been watching Gordon Ramsay YouTube videos for several years now. And there are so many recipes that I want to try. But more than just replicate them, I am learning how to make them my own.
Making It My Own
Don’t get me wrong, the slow-braising process in the above method yields a completely different (and AMAZING) result. And I get that, but the point was not to recreate what he did. My goal was to convert this into a recipe using my new favorite kitchen tool: The Instant Pot!
I guess I attribute my new obsession with simplified cooking to the fact that we now have 2 under 2 (two children under age two). No doubt about it… It has changed my approach to dinner. But that doesn’t mean you have to sacrifice quality. You just may need to alter your methods.
And this is the AMAZING Result…
More Instant Pot dinner recipes:
- Pressure Cooker Short Ribs with Bacon and Mushrooms
- Pressure Cooker Pot Roast
- Instant Pot Turkey Meatballs – Salisbury Steak Style
- Pressure Cooker Oxtail Stew- Jamaican Style
- Easy and Amazing Pressure Cooker Ribs
★ Did you make these Pressure Cooker Lamb Shanks?
Please give it a star rating below! ★
Pressure Cooker Lamb Shanks
- 3 lamb shanks preferably skinless
- 1/2 cup olive oil divided
- 1 green chili pepper sliced
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 1 Tbsp. smoked paprika
- 1 Tbsp. oregano
- 2 tsp. salt
- 1/4 tsp. ground cumin
- 2 Tbsp. brown sugar
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 1 medium onion roughly chopped
- 3 medium carrots roughly chopped
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 cups red wine
- 4 cups beef stock
- 3 Tbsp. corn starch
- 1/4 cup water
- In large bowl - combine lamb, pepper, garlic, paprika, oregano, salt, cumin, brown sugar, cinnamon sticks, and 1/4 cup oil. Mix well to coat meat, then marinate from 30 minutes to overnight.
- Using sauté setting, heat Instant Pot. Once hot add 1/4 cup olive oil and thoroughly brown lamb on all sides – making sure to render all the fat. Once browned, remove lamb shanks and set aside.
- Add onions, carrots, bay leaves, and remaining marinade to the pot. Sauté until onions become translucent – about 5 minutes.
- Add red wine to deglaze the pot - making sure to scrape all the bits stuck to the bottom. Return lamb to pot. Simmer to reduce by half - about 10 minutes.
- Add stock. Lock lid and cook for 30 minutes at high pressure.
- Once cook time is complete, allow pressure naturally release. Remove shanks and set aside.
- Pour liquid through a fine mesh strainer and return to pot. Discard cooked ingredients. Separately in a small bowl, combine cornstarch and water, then add to pot.
- Switch Instant Pot back to sauté setting and simmer until sauce reaches desired thickness. Return lamb to pot and let sit in sauce until ready to serve.
- Serve lamb with polenta or mashed potatoes topped with gravy!
And as Always… Please Pin & Share the Love!