Sweet Potato Pie
That’s on Another Level!
I’ve been eating sweet potato pie since I first grew teeth. So I consider myself somewhat of a connoisseur, especially since I eat them several times a year for the past 39 years. That being said… I’ve been doing lots of experimenting in the kitchen this year. And who knew that I would find something to add to this dessert that would change the game? Well, I did. My secret ingredients: acidity from lemon juice (and extract) and cardamom! And if you don’t know what that is, it’s pretty much an orange flavored spice. Check it out!
And as Always… Please Pin & Share the Love!
Sweet Potato Pie
- 2 pounds sweet potatoes baked, then peeled
- 1 1/3 cups sugar
- 1/3 cup butter softened
- 3 eggs
- 1/2 tsp lemon extract
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 Tbsp lemon juice
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2 Tbsp flour
- 1/3 c milk
- 1/2 tsp allspice
- 1/2 tsp nutmeg
- 1/4 tsp cardamom
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1 Tbsp vegetable shortening
- 1 prepared pie crust
- Bake sweet potatoes in a 350 degree oven for 90 minutes.
- In a large mixing bowl, "cream" the sugar, butter, and eggs using a mixer. (I use a hand mixer.)
- While still hot, peel potatoes and remove any dark brown spots. Cut into medium chunks.
- Add half of the potatoes, both extracts, lemon juice, and salt to the bowl. Mix well until completely combined.
- In a small bowl - whisk milk and flour together until all lumps are gone.
- To the large bowl, add remaining potatoes, milk mixture, and spices. Mix well for several minutes, until mixture is smooth and evenly colored. Be sure to remove any strings that get caught in mixer.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Grease a deep pie dish with shortening. Roll pie crust onto dish. Then, starting in the center and working outward, gently press down the dough, making sure to smooth out any air bubbles. Trim any excess dough around the top of the dish.
- Pour potato mixture into pie crust, making sure that it's evenly spread out.
- Bake pie for 90 minutes.
- Remove and let cool. Enjoy!