This sweet and savory apple pie, with bacon and cheese, is everything you want it to be.
One thing I love about cooking is experimenting with flavors and discovering something new and amazing. That is exactly what happened with this sweet and savory apple pie! I’d heard of people putting cheese slices on top on apple pie, but never tried it. So I figured… why not put it in the pie itself. And as far as the bacon goes. Well, everything is just better with bacon. It’s a fact.
Get One Of These for Slicing
Ever wonder how to get perfectly uniform slices? Well, it’s possible to use a food processor (if the vegetable or fruit will fit). But more than likely you’ll need a good mandoline. Not only will it ensure all the ingredients cook at the same speed, but it will cut your prep time by more than half. And that will always make a new tool worth it. I recommend this one. And while you’re at it, I recommend getting a Y Peeler too.
★ Did you make this recipe? Please give it a star rating below! ★
Sweet and Savory Apple Pie with Bacon and White Cheddar
- 2 9- inch single pie crusts
- 5 cups Granny Smith apples peeled, cored & thinly sliced
- ½ cup all-purpose flour
- ½ cup sugar
- ¾ tsp. cinnamon
- ¼ tsp. nutmeg
- ¼ tsp. ground allspice
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1 orange zested
- 2 Tbsp. lemon juice
- 1 Tbsp. freshly squeezed orange juice
- 8 strips bacon thick-cut
- 6 oz. white cheddar cheese cut into ½-inch chunks
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Once hot, place cookie sheet on bottom rack to heat up.
- In a large mixing bowl add flour, sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg, allspice, and salt. Whisk until well blended.
- Add thinly sliced apples, zest, and juices to sugar mixture & toss until all apple slices are coated. Let sit for 15 minutes, until apples release their juices.
- Meanwhile, cook 8 strips of bacon until very crispy. Cut into ½-inch pieces.
- Combine bacon and cheese with apple mixture.
- Arrange coated apple slices, bacon, and cheese into a 9-inch unbaked pie shell.
- Cut extra pie crust into ¾-inch strips. Arrange on top of apple pie, about ½-inch apart, to create lattice top.
- Bake on cookie sheet for 50-55 minutes or until pie filling is bubbly and crust is golden.
THIS POST MAY CONTAIN AFFILIATE LINKS. TO FIND OUT MORE VISIT MY DISCLOSURE PAGE.