Quinoa Fried Rice - A Quick, Nutritious, Meal
I'm a firm believer that everyone needs a collection of easy meals for busy nights. Sure, you can turn to take-out on hectic nights, but it's cheaper and often healthier to make your own meal. This Quick Quinoa Fried Rice is healthy, inexpensive, and perfect for a quick weeknight meal. It's also gluten-free, dairy-free and vegetarian!
Why Quinoa Instead of Rice?
Believe me, I love fried rice as much as the next person. And, yes, you can follow this recipe, subbing rice for the quinoa, and still end up with a delicious meal. However, when I have a choice between quinoa and brown rice, quinoa wins out. You can see a comparison of brown rice and quinoa here.
There's also a fool-proof method of cooking perfect quinoa each and every time using an Instant Pot. Simply add 1 part quinoa, 1.5 parts water (or stock), and cook on high pressure for 1 minute. Then let pressure naturally release for at least 10 minutes. Perfect, fluffy quinoa has never been so easy.
A Note on Onions
Due to my wife's food intolerances (onions, gluten and dairy - it keeps me on my toes), we often remove onions and use garlic instead - when it works. Below, I'm sharing our family recipe for Quinoa Fried "Rice", onion-free. Though this dish is delicious without onion, you can easily scale back on the garlic and add some minced onion (or green onions) instead.
Quick Quinoa Fried Rice
- 1 large carrot diced
- ½ cup frozen peas thawed
- 3 cups cooked quinoa
- 2 Tbsp. minced garlic
- 1 Tbsp. grape seed oil (or vegetable oil)
- 1 Tbsp. sesame oil
- 2 Tbsp. soy sauce gluten free
- 3 eggs beaten
- Heat wok or large nonstick pan over high heat. Once pan is hot, add grape seed oil and swirl to coat.
- Add carrots and cook two minutes, stirring frequently. Then add peas and continue cooking one minute.
- Add garlic, stir to incorporate, then immediately add rice, soy sauce and sesame oil. Reduce heat to medium.
- Make a well in the center of the wok and add the eggs. Gently scramble until just set, then mix into the quinoa.
- Adjust soy sauce to taste and enjoy!