Quinoa Fried Rice – A Quick, Nutritious, Meal
I’m a firm believer that everyone needs a collection of easy meals for busy nights. Sure, you can turn to take-out on hectic nights, but it’s cheaper and often healthier to make your own meal. This Quick Quinoa Fried Rice is healthy, inexpensive, and perfect for a quick weeknight meal. It’s also gluten-free, dairy-free and vegetarian!
Why Quinoa Instead of Rice?
Believe me, I love fried rice as much as the next person. And, yes, you can follow this recipe, subbing rice for the quinoa, and still end up with a delicious meal. However, when I have a choice between quinoa and brown rice, quinoa wins out. You can see a comparison of brown rice and quinoa here.
There’s also a fool-proof method of cooking perfect quinoa each and every time using an Instant Pot. Simply add 1 part quinoa, 1.5 parts water (or stock), and cook on high pressure for 1 minute. Then let pressure naturally release for at least 10 minutes. Perfect, fluffy quinoa has never been so easy.
A Note on Onions
Due to my wife’s food intolerances (onions, gluten and dairy – it keeps me on my toes), we often remove onions and use garlic instead – when it works. Below, I’m sharing our family recipe for Quinoa Fried “Rice”, onion-free. Though this dish is delicious without onion, you can easily scale back on the garlic and add some minced onion (or green onions) instead.
Quick Quinoa Fried Rice
An easy, protein packed, weeknight meal.
- 1 large carrot diced
- 1/2 cup frozen peas thawed
- 3 cups cooked quinoa
- 2 Tbsp. minced garlic
- 1 Tbsp. grape seed oil (or vegetable oil)
- 1 Tbsp. sesame oil
- 2 Tbsp. soy sauce gluten free
- 3 eggs beaten
- Heat wok or large nonstick pan over high heat. Once pan is hot, add grape seed oil and swirl to coat.
- Add carrots and cook two minutes, stirring frequently. Then add peas and continue cooking one minute.
- Add garlic, stir to incorporate, then immediately add rice, soy sauce and sesame oil. Reduce heat to medium.
Make a well in the center of the wok and add the eggs. Gently scramble until just set, then mix into the quinoa.
- Adjust soy sauce to taste and enjoy!