Pressure Cooker White Bean Soup
With Sausage and Kale
Since we had one last cold snap last week, of course I was in the kitchen making more soup. This was my first attempt at pressure cooker white bean soup. And I passed the bean approval test - my 2-year-old daughter. She loves beans, but only if they're delicious. And apparently, these are!
The Mistake Everybody Makes...
I love sausage in soups. But here's the problem. Almost every soup recipe I come across will use the sausage to add flavor to the soup. That's a great intention, but (in my opinion) it's actually a total fail. If you boil it for any extended period of time, all the flavor will go into the soup. And then you're left with flavorless sausage.
Check out the recipe below to see how to retain the crispiness of the sausage without compromising the flavor of the soup.
And as Always... Please Pin & Share the Love!
Pressure Cooker White Bean Soup with Crispy Sausage and Kale
- 12 oz. Andouille sausage sliced
- 1 Tbsp. olive oil
- 1 lb. dried great northern beans soaked overnight
- 2 Tbsp. white wine vinegar
- ½ cup yellow onion diced
- ¼ cup carrots sliced
- ¼ celery diced
- 1 Tbsp. fresh thyme leaves
- 1 bay leaf
- 6 cups chicken broth
- 1 smoked ham hock
- 15 oz. canned tomatoes petite diced, drained
- 8 oz. kale de-ribbed, roughly torn
- 1 Tbsp. sea salt
- ½ tsp. black pepper
- Using sauté setting on Instant Pot - Once hot, add oil and cook sausage until crispy. About 3 minutes each side. Remove and set aside.
- Add onions, carrots, celery, thyme, and vinegar - cook for 2 minutes, making sure to scrape up bits from bottom.
- Add all remaining ingredients (except sausage) to pot and mix well.
- Switch Instant Pot to manual setting for 15 minutes.
- Once time is complete - quick-release pressure then remove lid.
- Remove ham hock and bay leaf. Add sausage slices to pot and mix well.
- Serve and enjoy!
Oh sweet baby Jesus yes!!! I don't care if it's 100 degrees this weekend, I am making this soup!
It just might actually be near 100 ? But I'm the same way! Making another soup recipe to share later this week.
Thanks for another great recipe!