All the flavor of a traditional lasagna in 30 minutes! This easy weeknight meal is a family favorite. For a soup like experience, add more sauce to your bowl, or, go easy on the sauce and enjoy "lazy lasagna".
(Originally posted on June 7, 2018; Updated tips and FAQs on December 3, 2019)
It's funny... when I was a kid, believe it or not, lasagna was one of my favorite things to cook. Not to mention that my stepmom would request it on a regular basis. I guess I've always enjoyed cooking meals that take lots of preparation. Well, now I'm married, running two businesses, and have 2 kids (with a third on the way). So as you can imagine... I rarely have time to make lasagna these days. This is why I developed Instant Pot lasagna soup.
Why This Recipe Works:
- It transforms a multi-hour lasagna making process into about a 30 minute process.
- Each bowl is customizable. If you want a soupy bowl, add more sauce. For a "lazy lasagna" style bowl, add less sauce. For a light and healthy bowl, or a rich and hearty serving, add as much or as little cheese mixture as you like.
And the AMAZING Result...
- Adding the tomato paste and cooking slightly before adding the remaining ingredients helps to remove the canned taste.
- The fresh basil really adds a pop of fresh and authentic flavor to the dish. I do not recommend subbing with dried basil. The results just won't be the same.
Can I make this gluten-free? Yes! Our local grocery store carries gluten-free lasagna noodles, but if yours does not, you can purchase them on Amazon here.
What size Instant Pot did you use? We used our 6 quart Instant Pot Duo.
★ Did you make this recipe? Please give it a star rating below!★
Instant Pot Lasagna Soup
- ½ lb. lean ground beef
- ½ lb. Italian sausage
- ¼ cup onions diced
- 1 tsp. sea salt
- ½ tsp. black pepper
- 1 tsp. fennel seeds
- 1 Tbsp. garlic minced
- 6 oz. tomato paste
- 4 cups chicken broth low sodium
- 15 oz. tomato sauce
- 28 oz. crushed tomatoes
- 1 tsp. dried basil
- 1 tsp. Italian seasoning
- 2 Tbsp. sugar
- 9 oz. lasagna noodles
- 8 oz. ricotta cheese
- 1 tsp. fresh basil finely chopped
- ¼ cup parmesan grated
- 4 oz. mozzerella grated
- Using sauté setting - add ground beef, sausage, onions, fennel seeds, salt, and pepper to Instant Pot. Cook until meat is browned and fully cooked - about 5-7 minutes. Then add garlic and cook for about a minute or so.
- Add tomato paste and cook out for about a minute. (Not absolutely necessary, but it helps get rid of that canned taste.) Then add chicken broth, tomato sauce, crushed tomatoes, dried basil, Italian seasoning, and sugar - mix well.
- Add lasagna noodles (preferably standing up, not laying down). Lock lid and cook at high pressure for 2 minutes.
- Meanwhile - mix ricotta cheese and fresh basil in a small bowl and set aside.
- Once cook time is complete, allow pressure to release naturally for 5 minutes, then quick-release remaining pressure. Then gently mix.
- Serve soup topped with parmesan, mozzarella, and ricotta mixture.
THIS POST MAY CONTAIN AFFILIATE LINKS. TO FIND OUT MORE VISIT OUR DISCLOSURE PAGE.