With the new year approaching, I feel it's only right that we share a southern tradition with you: black-eyed peas! And the legend says that eating them for New Year's Day will bring good fortune. Well, I may not be a big believer in luck, but I am one who loves traditions. So please enjoy this incredibly easy Instant Pot Hoppin' John recipe. And if you make two minor adjustments, it becomes as vegan as it gets!
Vegans Don't Read This - It's About Bacon
While growing up, I can ALWAYS remember a little dish of bacon grease next to the stove. My dad would use it to make scrambled eggs - the best eggs in the world. Now as an adult, I find that this is a tradition that stuck with me.
I have found having a mason jar of bacon grease next to the range makes me a true southerner. And while I don't use it often, I have a few dishes that I highly recommend using it. This is one of them. That is, unless you're vegan. Or simply don't have any. We've tried it both ways and it's still delicious!
HOW TO MAKE INSTANT POT HOPPIN'JOHN
★ Did you make this Instant Pot Hoppin' John?
Please give it a star rating below! ★
Instant Pot Hoppin John
- ¾ cup yellow onion adiced
- ¾ carrot peeled, diced
- ¾ cup celery diced
- 1 jalapeno diced
- 2 Tbsp. bacon fat or olive oil
- 1 Tbsp. garlic minced
- 1 Tbsp. apple cider vinegar
- 1 cup long grain white rice
- 2 ½ cups chicken or vegetable stock
- 6 thyme sprigs
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 tsp. sea salt
- 28 oz. frozen field peas and snaps
- Using sauté setting - heat oil, then add onion, carrot, celery, and jalapeno. Cook for 4 minutes, stirring frequently. Then add thyme, bay leaf, garlic and vinegar and cook one minute. Next, add the rice, mix well and cook for another 30 seconds, stirring constantly.
- Add stock and salt, mix well. Then add peas and mix again.
- Finally, lock lid, close vent, and switch to rice setting (12 minutes, low pressure).
- Once cook time is complete, allow pressure to release naturally (about 10 minutes). Remove bay leaf and thyme sprigs.
- Serve and enjoy!
THIS POST MAY CONTAIN AFFILIATE LINKS. TO FIND OUT MORE VISIT OUR DISCLOSURE PAGE.