This Instant Pot cabbage takes all the guesswork out of getting it just right! And the flavor is undeniably southern in the best way.
Cabbage is one of those foods that people eat all over the world. I believe it's literally part of every single cuisine on planet Earth. But there's one thing I really dislike.... sad, mushy, bland cabbage! Well, I am from the south, so that's the lens I see food through. This Instant Pot cabbage takes all the guesswork out of getting the texture just right! And the flavor is undeniably southern in the best way.
And this is the AMAZING Result…
Can I use olive oil instead of bacon fat? Yes!
Can I substitute dried thyme for fresh? I recommend using fresh thyme whenever possible. The flavor will always be better. However, you can use dried thyme in a pinch. I recommend using ¼ tsp dry thyme in this recipe when substituting for fresh.
★ Did you make this Instant Pot Cabbage? Please give it a star rating below!★
Instant Pot Cabbage with Southern Style
- 1 ½ cups yellow onions sliced with grain
- 1 head of cabbage roughly chopped, core removed
- 2 Tbsp. bacon fat
- 1 Tbsp. garlic minced
- 6 thyme sprigs
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 Tbsp. apple cider vinegar
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1 tsp. sea salt
- Cut the onions with the grain to create strings rather than rings. Place the cabbage on a large cutting board, core side up. Cut the cabbage into 3 large pieces to remove the core. Then roughly chop the cabbage into spoon-size pieces. Make sure to break up leaves into individual pieces.
- Using sauté setting… add bacon fat to pot. Add onions to pot and cook for 2-3 minutes until just barely softened. Add garlic, thyme, bay leaf, and vinegar.
- Add cabbage, chicken broth, and salt to pot and give a really good mix. I mean really mix it! Lock lid and cook for 2 minutes at high pressure.
- Once cook time is complete, quick-release pressure. Then remove lid, bay leaf, and thyme sprigs. Mix again and serve.