This Instant Pot cabbage takes all the guesswork out of getting it just right! And the flavor is undeniably southern in the best way.
Cabbage is one of those foods that people eat all over the world. I believe it's literally part of every single cuisine on planet Earth. But there's one thing I really dislike.... sad, mushy, bland cabbage! Well, I am from the south, so that's the lens I see food through. This Instant Pot cabbage takes all the guesswork out of getting the texture just right! And the flavor is undeniably southern in the best way.
And this is the AMAZING Result…
Can I use olive oil instead of bacon fat? Yes!
Can I substitute dried thyme for fresh? I recommend using fresh thyme whenever possible. The flavor will always be better. However, you can use dried thyme in a pinch. I recommend using ¼ teaspoon dry thyme in this recipe when substituting for fresh.
★ Did you make this Instant Pot Cabbage? Please give it a star rating below!★
Instant Pot Cabbage with Southern Style
- 1 ½ cups yellow onions sliced with grain
- 1 head of cabbage roughly chopped, core removed
- 2 Tbsp. bacon fat
- 1 Tbsp. garlic minced
- 6 thyme sprigs
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 Tbsp. apple cider vinegar
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1 tsp. sea salt
- Cut the onions with the grain to create strings rather than rings. Place the cabbage on a large cutting board, core side up. Cut the cabbage into 3 large pieces to remove the core. Then roughly chop the cabbage into spoon-size pieces. Make sure to break up leaves into individual pieces.
- Using sauté setting… add bacon fat to pot. Add onions to pot and cook for 2-3 minutes until just barely softened. Add garlic, thyme, bay leaf, and vinegar.
- Add cabbage, chicken broth, and salt to pot and give a really good mix. I mean really mix it! Lock lid and cook for 2 minutes at high pressure.
- Once cook time is complete, quick-release pressure. Then remove lid, bay leaf, and thyme sprigs. Mix again and serve.
Could I use olive oil in place of bacon fat? And dried thyme instead of fresh?
Of course. I'd suggest 1/4 tsp. of dried thyme.
Awesome! I threw in some Italian sausage I had to complete the meal. Great quick dinner! Thanks!
When do you add the Italian sausage?
Great recipe! My family loved it!
Very good recipe, we loved it!
Closest I've come to the 45min stove version. Thank you! Just didn't add thyme or bay leaf but was great and tender!
This was great! I'm not going to bother making it on the stove ever again.
Patti A Munch
Loved this cabbage recipe. Cooked up perfectly and tasted great!
The recipe calls for bacon fat, but it doesn't use bacon in the recipe. I don't keep bacon fat after the bacon is fried. What do you do?
Fry up some bacon and keep the fat! (Just being silly.)
You can use olive oil (or really any oil you like). The only thing that will change is the flavor.