One day last year, I was doing some Google searching for a great chicken drumsticks recipe. For some reason that day, nothing was exciting me. During this same time, I was also doing some research on different flavor combinations. The flavors of this dish were inspired by both Indian and Island cultures, and I couldn't be happier with how it turned out.
Why You Need a Cast Iron Skillet
I am always looking for an excuse to use my Cast Iron Skillet. If you do not own one, I highly recommend you upgrade your life as soon as possible. There is no other kitchen tool that will give you a sear like that of a cast iron skillet. Even when cooking meat in the Instant Pot or slow cooker, I often sear the meat in my cast iron skillet first. Cast iron skillets also transfer easily from stove-top to oven, which is a must for this recipe. On a side note: Stop using soap to clean your cast iron. You're washing all the goodness away. Learn how to properly clean your cast iron skillet here.
Don't Forget the Sauce
I love a good helping of the sauce. The unique flavor profiles of each ingredient come together to create a sauce good enough to eat with a spoon. When cooking, it is very important to bring your pan back up to a strong boil before moving to the oven. This is the only way that your sauce will reduce down to the creamy goodness you want.
★ Did you make this recipe? Please give it a star rating below!
Chicken Drumsticks Recipe - Savory, Sweet and Spicy
- 8 chicken legs
- ¼ cup grape seed oil (or olive oil)
- 1 small onion diced
- 3 star anise
- 2 cinnamon sticks
- 1 ruby red grapefruite juiced
- 1 Tbsp. minced garlic
- ½ tsp. red pepper flakes (adjust to taste)
- 1 can coconut milk
- fresh chopped parsley
- sea salt
- fresh cracked pepper
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees.
- Season chicken legs with sea salt and fresh cracked pepper.
- Heat a large cast iron skillet (or Dutch oven) over medium-high heat until hot, then add oil. Once oil is hot, add chicken and thoroughly brown on all sides.
- Remove chicken and set aside. Drain most of oil, leaving about 2 tablespoons.
- Reduce to medium heat, add onions, star anise, and cinnamon sticks – sauté for 2 minutes. Then add garlic and red pepper flakes – sauté for 30 seconds.
- Add juice of 1 grapefruit to deglaze pan, stirring constantly for about 2 minutes.
- Add coconut milk and salt and pepper to taste. Then add browned chicken, increase heat, and bring to boil.
- Move skillet to center oven rack and bake uncovered for 35 minutes.
- Top with fresh parsley and enjoy!
THIS POST MAY CONTAIN AFFILIATE LINKS. TO FIND OUT MORE VISIT OUR DISCLOSURE PAGE.