Pickles and chicken may sound like an odd combination, but trust us: The hint of pickle in this Instant Pot Pickle Chicken will totally have you thinking you’re eating at Chick-fil-A! With just three easy steps, dinner is done.
I don’t know about you, but I am head-over-heals in love with the chicken from Chick-fil-A. I’ve always felt like they must be adding crack to it or something because it’s definitely addictive. Well, come to find out, it’s not crack – it’s pickle juice! While we can’t confirm that it’s true, we’ve heard from several former employees that once upon a time they used pickle juice in their brine, which gives it the unique flavor. Think about that the next time you bite into a sandwich and I guarantee you’ll taste it! So this Instant Pot pickle chicken is meant to remind us of our favorite chicken place. And you get to eat the pickles too!
More Whole Chicken Recipes:
And this is the AMAZING Result…
What is the flavor like? This recipe yields a moist and tender chicken, with a mild hint of pickle flavor.
Can I get more pickle flavor if I marinate the chicken in pickle juice? Yes. If you want a more intense pickle flavor, you can marinate the chicken in pickle juice. However, our goal was to create a chicken with just a hint of pickle flavor.
Can I eat the pickles? Absolutely!
Can I use a frozen chicken? We have not tested this, or any of our recipes, with frozen chicken. As a rule, we don’t recommend cooking from frozen. It’s a quality thing. You can cook from frozen, but the quality will not be as good as cooking from fresh, or thawed, chicken. As we haven’t tested it, we are not able to recommend a cook time.
Can I use chicken breasts instead of a whole chicken? You could do that, but I can’t say how good it will be. The whole chicken is really the best way to go. The cook time would be different as well. As we haven’t tested it, we are not able to recommend a cook time.
★ Did you make this Instant Pot Pickle Chicken? Please give it a star rating below! ★
Instant Pot Pickle Chicken
- 5 lb. whole chicken
- 16 oz. jar of baby kosher dill pickles
- salt and pepper
- Liberally season the inside cavity of chicken with salt and pepper (and any other seasonings that tickle your pickle). Stuff the chicken cavity with baby kosher dill pickles. Liberally season the outside of the bird.
- Pour the remaining pickle juice from the jar (about 1 1/2 cups) into pot and insert trivet. Place stuffed chicken on top of trivet, breast side up.
- Lock lid and cook for 35 minutes at high pressure. Once cook time is complete, allow pressure to release naturally. Crisp the skin using the following methods, or serve as is.
To crisp skin in Instant Pot Duo Crisp:
- Place air fryer lid on pot and set to broil for 10 minutes. Carefully remove from Instant Pot and enjoy!
To crisp skin in oven:
- Carefully transfer chicken to an oven-safe dish and place under a broiler for 5-7 minutes.