Grandma B’s Instant Pot Chicken and Rice
Some of my most vivid memories are attached to food. And I don’t think I’ve ever known a cook as good and my Grandma B. I remember growing up and being amazed at how good even her rice tasted. She is no longer with us, so I can’t ask – but I’m pretty sure this Instant Pot Chicken and Rice recipe is similar. Even if it isn’t, it sure reminds me of eating in her kitchen after school. And that’s just fine with me.
And as Always… Please Pin & Share the Love!
- 4 lb. whole young chicken
- 2 quarts water
- 2 cups long grain white rice (we like basmati)
- 4 tsp. salt
- 2 tsp. black pepper - separated
- 2 Tbsp. lemon juice
- Place whole chicken in Instant Pot breast side up, then add water, salt, and 1 teaspoon of pepper. Lock lid, close vent, and set manual timer for 25 minutes on high pressure.
- Once cook time is complete, allow pressure to release naturally (will take about 30 minutes). Then remove chicken from pot to a separate bowl. Be careful because it might be falling apart, which is good!
- Add lemon juice and rice to broth, then mix well. Lock lid, close vent, and set manual timer for 4 minutes on low pressure.
- Meanwhile - remove all the meat from the bones and tear into medium-size pieces. Throw away all the skin and bones.
- Once cook time is complete, quick-release pressure. (If liquid starts to come out of vent, just close it and wait a minute or two. Sometimes the rice will produce those starchy bubbles.) Then remove lid and add chicken and 1 teaspoon black pepper to pot. Mix well.
- Serve and enjoy!