Vegan Cream of Mushroom Soup
I don’t know if there is any ingredient as versatile and beloved as a can of condensed cream of mushroom soup. It can be gravy, sauce, or my personal favorite… the perfect bechamel for pretty much any casserole (like this vegan green bean casserole). There’s just a couple of problems: My wife can’t have gluten and neither of us can have the cream. So what does that mean? I need to create a vegan cream of mushroom soup recipe that is also gluten-free. Not to mention DELICIOUS! Challenge accepted.
And as Always… Please Pin & Share the Love!
- 24oz. baby bella mushrooms - diced
- 3 Tbsp. olive oil
- 1 Tbsp. sea salt
- ½ tsp. black pepper
- 1 Tbsp. garlic - minced
- 3 cups soy milk (or plain almond milk)
- 2 tsp. onion powder
- ¼ cup cornstarch
- In a large sauce pan - add oil, mushrooms, garlic, salt, and pepper. Sauté over medium-high heat for 10-15 minutes, until mushrooms have released their juices and mostly evaporated.
- Meanwhile - in a medium bowl, combine soy milk, onion powder, and cornstarch. Mix well, making sure there are no lumps.
- Add milk mixture to mushrooms and reduce to medium-low heat. Cook until desired thickness is reached, probably about 5 minutes.
- Refrigerate and use in your favorite casserole recipe. Enjoy!