Instant Pot Lentil Dal
I don’t know about you, but I could eat lentils for breakfast. And as a matter of fact, I often do. I’m just not a bowl of oatmeal kind of guy, even though I know I should be. Recently, my two worlds collided – switching to a plant-based diet meets using the Instant Pot for everything possible. And the first creation is this Instant Pot lentil dal. It is super easy to make and pretty much fail-proof.
Comfort Food? Yes!
When you think of comfort food, I’d be willing to bet that curry and lentils don’t come to mind. But, in my opinion, this dish is exactly what comfort food is all about. The flavors are warm and rich. And after eating a bowl, you’re left with that satisfied feeling. Isn’t that pretty much the definition? I believe that every cuisine has comfort food dishes. It’s not just mac-and-cheese and casseroles. Mmmm, casseroles…
- 2 Tbsp. grape seed oil
- ½ small serrano pepper - finely diced
- 1 Tbsp. fresh ginger - grated
- ¼ cup yellow onions - diced
- 1 Tbsp. garlic - minced
- 4 Tbsp. green curry paste
- 13.5-ounce can coconut milk
- 5 cups vegetable broth
- 1 Tbsp. curry powder
- 1 tsp. sea salt
- ½ tsp. black pepper
- 1 lb. green lentils
- 2 Tbsp. lemon juice
- 8 oz. fresh baby spinach
- Turn on Sauté setting. Once hot, add grape seed oil, serrano pepper, ginger, and onions. Sauté for 3-4 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Add garlic, curry paste, and curry powder and stir to coat. Sauté for another 2 minutes.
- Then add all remaining ingredients except spinach. Stir to combine.
- Lock lid and switch IP to manual setting and set for 15 minutes. Once cook time is complete, allow pressure to naturally release for 10 minutes. Then switch valve to release remaining pressure.
- Remove lid and add spinach, then mix well until spinach is wilted.
- Serve with rice and enjoy!