Instant Pot Hoppin John
Vegan or Not!
With the new year approaching, I feel it’s only right that we share a southern tradition with you: black-eyed peas! And the legend says that eating them for New Year’s Day will bring good fortune. Well, I may not be a big believer in luck, but I am one who loves traditions. So please enjoy this incredibly easy Instant Pot Hoppin John recipe. And if you make two minor adjustments, it becomes as vegan as it gets!
And as Always… Please Pin & Share the Love!
- 1 medium onion (about ½ cup) - diced
- 1 carrot - peeled, diced
- 2 celery ribs - diced
- ½ jalapeno - diced
- 2 Tbsp. bacon grease (or olive oil)
- 2 tsp. garlic - minced
- 1 Tbsp. apple cider vinegar
- 1 cup rice
- 2½ cups chicken or vegetable stock
- 6 sprigs thyme (leaves only, about 1 tsp.)
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 tsp. sea salt
- 28 oz. frozen field peas and snaps
- Using sauté setting - heat oil, then add onion, carrot, celery, and jalapeno. Cook for 4 minutes, stirring frequently. Then add garlic and vinegar and cook 30 seconds. Next, add the rice and cook for another 30 seconds, stirring constantly.
- Add stock, thyme, bay leaf, and salt and mix well. Then add peas and mix again.
- Finally, lock lid, close vent, and switch to rice setting (12 minutes, low pressure).
- Once cook time is complete, allow pressure to release naturally (about 10 minutes).
- Serve and enjoy!